Seeking Chief of Party (COP) candidates
For Upcoming USAID-funded Legislative Strengthening Program Opportunity
An NCSL international partner is seeking candidates for Chief of Party (Executive Director) for our joint legislative strengthening project in Kyrgyzstan.
The purpose of this project will be to develop the technical capacity of parliamentary staff at both the National and provincial legislatures in key departments, including research, committee support, and legislative drafting; strengthening the general understanding of Members about the legislative process, committee system, and roles and responsibilities of Members; and supporting efforts by civil society to develop linkages with national and provincial parliaments. Other project areas may include strengthening the representative, lawmaking, and oversight functions of National and provincial (or other sub-national) level assemblies, and the capacity to monitor public expenditures. In addition, the project will focus on improving citizen access to the legislative process.
The Chief of Party will be responsible for leading the technical direction of the project and providing management oversight for project activities. He/she shall act as the primary point of contact with donor agencies with regard to day-to-day implementation and management matters relating to the contract. He/she will be responsible for the technical leadership and management of all the technical activities of the project. He/she will oversee a long-term expatriate and local team and short-term experts in achieving project results. He/she will be responsible for evaluating and documenting progress (activity monitoring reports), managing design and evaluation teams, evaluating sub-contractors’ and grantees’ activities through consultative meetings and site visits, working out solutions to keep the activity on track, and providing overall guidance and direction focusing the activity team on achieving agreed targets and long-term strategic objectives. The COP will have overall responsibility for assuring that all assistance provided under the contract is technically sound and appropriate for the needs to be addressed. The COP shall have overall responsibility for ensuring quality control, the appropriateness and overall responsiveness of all assistance provided under the contract. He/she shall be able to provide guidance and direction as to team building and participatory management.
- At least five years experience with a legislative institution as an elected representative or staff member, or in a position of direct engagement with the legislature.
- Technical knowledge in one or more of the following areas:
- Administration and management of legislative institutions, staff and budgets;
- Knowledge of parliamentary procedure and legislative drafting;
- Public policy development and advocacy;
- Development, passage, monitoring, and auditing of public budgets;
- Training and orientation for new Members and staff;
- Legislative research office establishment and management;
- Installation and management of legislative IT systems;
- Constituent outreach;
- Media relations;
- Engagement of civil society organizations in all aspects of legislative functions.
- Prior experience managing – preferably as Chief of Party - USAID or other donor-supported development projects in the area of legislative strengthening or governance;
- Knowledge of USAID or other donor planning and reporting systems, operations, programming, and structure;
- Ability to build strong relationships with senior officials in government, donor missions and business community;
- Fluency in English is required, Russian language skills are desirable;
- Availability for deployment within 60 days of application deadline.
Interested and qualified candidates should notify Kathy Brennan Wiggins at email@example.com.