Energy Storage Legislation Database
The searchable Energy Storage Legislation Database displays information in interactive maps and charts, tracking state activity from 2017 to the present.
- Search legislation for each year from 2007 to 2021 by state, topic, keyword, year, status or primary sponsor.
- For environment legislation see the NCSL Environment and Natural Resources State Bill Tracking Database.
- Bill information for the current year is updated each Tuesday. New measures are added as they are introduced or identified by NCSL staff.
- Bills may appear twice in carryover states. In these states, please check the last date of action to ensure the status of the bill reflects the appropriate year.
- If nothing is selected in the fields below, the search will include all topics and states in the current session year.
- Clicking on the bill number displays the full text of bills (for bills from 2015 and later).
Database Search Terms
Includes bills that address policy issues related to climate change. This may include state action related to adaptation, as well as bills that address emissions reductions—including carbon pricing, or that consider new technologies such as carbon capture and storage. The subcategories include under Climate Change are Adaptation and Environment, Climate Change - Carbon Capture and Sequestration and Climate Change - Emissions Reduction.
Electric Grid and Transmission
Includes bills that impact the electric grid or transmission infrastructure across the country.
Includes bills that address energy efficiency measures. This includes the subcategory of Building Codes and Standards.
Includes bills related to critical energy infrastructure, energy resiliency and grid-hardening in response to natural or manmade threats, or reliability in the energy sector.
Financing Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
Includes bills that cover financial or monetary aspects of energy efficiency or renewable energy, including bills on loans, bonds and property assessed clean energy financing.
Includes bills related to the development, transmission or end use of fossil fuels, including the subcategories of Hydraulic Fracturing, Natural Gas, and Coal.
Includes bills that support clean energy job creation. It also includes bills that address training, education, certification and licensing for green jobs.
Includes bills related to nuclear power as well as the transportation, storage and/or disposal of radioactive wastes.
Includes bills related to renewable energy. Bills that address specific renewable sources are also included in the following subcategories: Renewable Energy - Hydrogen, Renewable Energy - Solar, or Renewable Energy - Wind.
Includes uses of various fuels for transportation purposes. The subcategory, Alt. Fuels/Hybrid pertains to all bills covering alternative fuels or vehicles.
Includes bills that impact the utilities commission or require industry or organization to seek approval through a utilities commission. It also includes bills with provisions related to utility operations and rate design.