The National Conference of State Legislatures works in cooperation to bring you up to date, real-time information about transportation funding and finance bills that have been introduced in the 50 states and the District of Columbia.
Database Search Terms
This database below tracks enacted, pending and failed bills related to state-level transportation funding and finance options, including:
- Transportation appropriations
- Motor fuel taxes - State excise, sales or other taxes on gasoline and diesel.
- Bonding and debt
- Design-build and public-private partnerships - Innovative contracting approaches including design-build and public-private partnerships (also known as PPPs or P3s).
- Studies and pilot projects
- Local funding
- Alternative fuels and electric vehicles - State taxes and fees on alternative fuels and alternative fuel/electric vehicles.
- State DMV Fees - Vehicle registration, driver’s license and other state DMV fees.
- State general sales taxes - Dedicated state general sales taxes (taxes on all transactions, not just on gasoline or diesel).
- Ports and Waterways - Funding and financing for airports and aviation, ports and waterways, public transit (buses, trams, light rail, ferries and other shared public transportation) and rail.
- State taxes on aviation fuel
- VMT fees - Mileage-based fees (also known as vehicle miles traveled or VMT fees).
The database also tracks state legislation that addresses local transportation funding. This includes bills that authorize local governments to collect taxes and fees and those that allocate state revenues to counties, municipalities or other local entities for transportation purposes.
You can search legislation for each year beginning with 2013 by state, topic, keyword, year, status or primary sponsor. New measures are added monthly by NCSL staff.
Bills may appear twice in carryover states. In these states, please check the last date of action to ensure the status of the bill reflects the appropriate year.