Database Search Terms
This database below tracks enacted, pending and failed bills related to state-level transportation funding and finance options, including:
- Transportation appropriations
- Motor fuel taxes - State excise, sales or other taxes on gasoline and diesel.
- Bonding and debt
- Design-build and public-private partnerships - Innovative contracting approaches including design-build and public-private partnerships (also known as PPPs or P3s).
- Studies and pilot projects
- Local funding
- Alternative fuels and electric vehicles - State taxes and fees on alternative fuels and alternative fuel/electric vehicles.
- State DMV Fees - Vehicle registration, driver’s license and other state DMV fees.
- State general sales taxes - Dedicated state general sales taxes (taxes on all transactions, not just on gasoline or diesel).
- Ports and Waterways - Funding and financing for airports and aviation, ports and waterways, public transit (buses, trams, light rail, ferries and other shared public transportation) and rail.
- State taxes on aviation fuel
- VMT fees - Mileage-based fees (also known as vehicle miles traveled or VMT fees).
The database also tracks state legislation that addresses local transportation funding. This includes bills that authorize local governments to collect taxes and fees and those that allocate state revenues to counties, municipalities or other local entities for transportation purposes.