Military and Veterans Publications
NCSL tracks a variety of military and veterans issues, including development near military installations; military-community partnerships to respond to mission change; veteran employment initiatives and hiring preferences; education programs; mental health; housing; and benefits for military personnel, veterans and their dependents.
Listed below are links to NCSL’s military-related publications. These include reports, web briefs, webinars, magazine articles, LegisBriefs, meeting presentations and more.
- Veteran Homelessness: Overview of State and Federal Resources, May 2020. Since the beginning of the 2019-2020 legislative sessions, state legislatures have introduced 79 bills that directly relate to the homelessness of veterans, such as home loans, rental protections and adapted housing.
- National Guard Assists Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic, April 2020. Governors in at least 44 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands have activated components of their Army and Air National Guard, the reserve component of the U.S military. As many as 18,000 troops have been activated across the nation to assist efforts to respond to, mitigate and control the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Vietnam Veterans Day, March 2020. Vietnam Veterans Day commemorates the sacrifices of Vietnam veterans and their families and is part of a national effort to recognize the men and women who were denied a proper welcome upon returning home more than 40 years ago.
- Military Parent Custody and Visitation, September 2018. This page describes the Uniform Deployed Parents Custody and Visitation Act and offers information about states that have enacted the uniform law, those that have proposed the uniform law, and states that have similar legislation in the statute.
- Barriers to Work: Veterans and Military Spouses, July 2018. This policy brief will outline options for policymakers working to ensure occupational licensing regulations provide flexibility for licensed workers and ensure public safety.
- Join an Online Dialogue on Occupational Licensing for Veterans, June 2018. Governors and state legislatures have demonstrated a strong commitment to easing transitions into employment for veterans and the military.
- Military and Veterans Affairs State Bill Tracking Database - This searchable database tracks military and veterans affairs legislation from the 2010-2018 legislative sessions.
- State Policies for Women Veterans, April 2018. This page discusses how the challenges of transitioning from military to civilian life affect women differently than men, and how many states and communities are exploring ways to help this small, but growing population of returning service members.
- Military’s Impact on State Economies, April 2018. At least 26 states have completed or are in the process of completing a military-economic impact study. Impacts generally include salaries and benefits paid to military personnel and retirees, defense contracts, local business activity supported by military operations, tax revenues and other military spending.
- State Help for Returning Veterans, April 2018. As more and more veterans return home, states are focused on programs to ensure that they receive the resources and information they need to make a smooth transition.
- Vietnam Veterans Day, April 2018. This chart summarizes state legislation and resolutions designating a Vietnam Veterans Day.
- [Podcast] Serving the Nation's Veterans | OAS Episode 21, November 2017. America owes a great debt to the men and women who have served in this nation's military. The National Conference of State Legislatures several years ago created the Task Force On Military & Veterans Affairs to examine issues affecting military-community relations and the health and well-being of service members, veterans and their families.
- [Webinar] Occupational Licensing: Examining Challenges for Four Subpopulations, November 2017. This webinar addressed some of the unique challenges each of these populations face when it comes to entering the workforce in a licensed occupation, and how states are helping to remove some of these barriers.
- Statestats | Roll Call: Veterans by the Numbers, October/November, State Legislatures Magazine. With more veterans returning home, state legislatures can play an important role in ensuring they and their families receive the resources and information they need to make a smooth transition to civilian life.
- Preparing for Duty, December 2016. This report covers the following military topics: military advisory bodies, commander's councils, land use planning, the role of adjutants general, grant programs, light pollution, noise, land conservation, and notification policies.
- Assisting Veterans with Employment, October 2016, LegisBrief. Most veterans describe finding a job as one of the most difficult challenges of their transition back to civilian life. All 50 states and the federal government have stepped up efforts in recent years to help veterans find jobs.
- [Webinar] Responding to the Needs of Female Veterans, April 2016. This free NCSL webinar will discuss the challenges for women transitioning from military to civilian life and how it affects women differently than men. Many states and communities are exploring ways to help this small, but growing population of returning service members.
- Energy Siting and Compatibility with the Military Mission, May 2016. State legislatures are working to prevent and mitigate energy-related encroachment on military installations early in the siting process to reduce costs, streamline the permitting process and preserve the military mission.
- States Shut Out Light Pollution, May 2016. Increasing urbanization, combined with the excessive and inefficient use of light, has created a kind of pollution that obscures the stars from view and leads to numerous other disturbances.
- Trends in State Policy News, February 2016. State Legislatures Magazine. The most important issues state lawmakers are working on now including: tracking money in political campaigns; reducing light pollution; making new rules for driverless cars; and getting ready for the Cadillac tax.
- Women in the Military and Female Veterans, January 2016. Overview of Women's Legislative Network of NCSL work on women in the military and female veterans.
- States Shut Out Light Pollution, January 2016, LegisBrief. Light pollution is the result of increasing urbanization, combined with excessive and inefficient use of light. State policies help reduce light pollution by promoting shielded light fixtures as well as low-glare and low-wattage lighting.
- State Policies on Service Dogs for Military Veterans, December 2015, LegisBrief. Some states are looking for ways to help veterans obtain service dogs to help them deal with the physical and emotional challenges they often face after returning home from combat.
- The Choice Act and Veterans’ Education, May 2015. LegisBrief. The Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 has important implications for states. In addition to improving veterans’ access to health care, the Choice Act also requires public universities to offer recent veterans in-state tuition, regardless of state residency status.
- Energy Development Near Military Operations, Sept. 2014, LegisBrief. Utility-scale renewable energy and related electrical transmission projects may interfere with military installations, test and training ranges, and airspace.
- [Video] Q and A | Kristin Thomasgard, U.S. Department of Defense, August 2014. NCSL staff interviewed Kristin Thomasgard, Program Director for the U.S. Department of Defense Readiness and Environmental Protection Integration (REPI) office.
- [Webinar] Energy Development and the Department of Defense: State Policy Options, July 2014. As states and localities experience a dramatic increase in the number of siting and construction permits for utility-scale renewable energy, and associated electric power transmission projects, the potential for conflict with Department of Defense (DoD) activities increases.
- Sentinel Landscapes: A Novel Approach to Land Conservation, March 2014, LegisBrief. This page contains information about state legislation dealing with custody and visitation agreements when one parent is deployed as part of active military service.
- [Webinar] Forming Military-Community Partnerships Around Shared Services, July 2013. Listen to the archived recording of this webinar that featured speakers who discussed shared services agreements that allow the military and local governments to “share” (to combine, consolidate or purchase) municipal or support services such as infrastructure, utilities, or other operations and maintenance services.
- NCSL Task Force on Military and Veteran's Affairs State Policy Options, May 2013. An NCSL publication of State Policy Options for the Military and Veteran's Affairs Task Force.
- [Webinar] Military-Community Cooperation: State Legislative Approaches, April 20213. This webinar was designed to help state legislators and legislative staff understand the role of state legislatures in communication and cooperation between military bases and surrounding communities.
- Minimize Encroachment on Military Installations January 2013. This document looks at the issue of land use near military installations, which is a growing issue for state legislatures and the armed forces. New residential and commercial development along with increasing competition for land, airspace and water access can constrain training, testing and other military base activities.
- Adjutants General Terms and Qualifications Statutes, February 2013. Adjutants General Terms and Qualifications Statutes.
- Mission to Serve Report Veterans Transportation, January 2013. The 2013 NCSL report "A Mission to Serve" details state activities that help military veterans access transportation options using case studies, state-by-state profiles and a nationwide synthesis.
- Coming Home, April 2012. State Legislatures. Magazine. Troops returning from overseas and veterans are getting a hand from states in finding jobs, justice and the support they deserve.
NCSL Task Force on Military and Veterans Affairs | Meetings and Presentations
NCSL Task Force on Military and Veterans Affairs Homepage