June 22-24, 2016 | San Diego
This invitation-only meeting from June 22-24 in San Diego was designed specifically for legislative fiscal leaders and senior legislative fiscal staff from the Western states.
Attendees at this meeting had the opportunity to collaborate and communicate on state fiscal challenges and improving state fiscal health.
This meeting was made possible through the generous support of The Pew Charitable Trusts.
- Urbanization of Western States: What it Means for the Future
Presentation: Mark Haggerty, Economist, Headwaters Economics, Montana
- Building Better Tax Incentives By Reducing Risk
Presentation: Melissa Maynard, Officer, Economic Development, State Fiscal Health, The Pew Charitable Trusts
Presentation: John Woolley, Deputy Legislative Auditor, Washington
- Riding the Revenue Toller Coaster: How States can Flatten the Track
Handout, Presentation: Senator Richard Devlin, Oregon
- Bending the Medicaid Cost Curve
Presentation: Senator Ed Buttrey, Montana
Handout: Heather Shadduck, Chief of Staff to Senator Pete Kelly, Alaska
- The Quest for Sustainable Transportation Funding
Handout: Representative Judy Clibborn, Washington
Presentation: Senator Mike Vehle, South Dakota
- States Leading the Way: Innovative Funding Models for Higher Education
Handout: Senator Richard Devlin, Oregon
Presentation: Senator Ben Kiekhefer, Nevada
Presentation: Sandy Stith, Senior Fiscal Analyst, Washington
Presentation: Kate Watkins, Economist, Colorado
- Western State Economic Outlook
Presentation: Christopher Thornberg, Founding Partner, Beacon Economics