Oklahoma Landlord and Tenant Duties
§ 118. Duties of landlord and tenant
A. A landlord shall at all times during the tenancy:
1. Except in the case of a single-family residence, keep all common areas of his building, grounds, facilities and appurtenances in a clean, safe and sanitary condition;
2. Make all repairs and do whatever is necessary to put and keep the tenant's dwelling unit and premises in a fit and habitable condition;
3. Maintain in good and safe working order and condition all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, air-conditioning and other facilities and appliances, including elevators, supplied or required to be supplied by him;
4. Except in the case of one- or two-family residences or where provided by a governmental entity, provide and maintain appropriate receptacles and conveniences for the removal of ashes, garbage, rubbish and other waste incidental to the occupancy of the dwelling unit and arrange for the frequent removal of such wastes; and
5. Except in the case of a single-family residence or where the service is supplied by direct and independently-metered utility connections to the dwelling unit, supply running water and reasonable amounts of hot water at all times and reasonable heat.
B. The landlord and tenant of a dwelling unit may agree by a conspicuous writing independent of the rental agreement that the tenant is to perform specified repairs, maintenance tasks, alterations or remodeling.
§ 127. Duties of tenant
The tenant shall at all times during the tenancy:
1. Keep that part of the premises which such tenant occupies and uses as safe, clean and sanitary as the condition of the premises permits;
2. Dispose from such tenant's dwelling unit all ashes, garbage, rubbish and other waste in a safe, clean and sanitary manner;
3. Keep all plumbing fixtures in the dwelling unit or used by the tenant as clean and sanitary as their condition permits;
4. Use in a safe and nondestructive manner all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, air-conditioning and other facilities and appliances including elevators in the premises;
5. Not deliberately or negligently destroy, deface, damage, impair or remove any part of the premises or permit any person, animal or pet to do so;
6. Not engage in conduct or allow any person or animal or pet, on the premises with the express or implied permission or consent of the tenant, to engage in conduct that will disturb the quiet and peaceful enjoyment of the premises by other tenants;
7. Comply with all covenants, rules, regulations and the like which are in accordance with Section 126 of this title; and
8. Not engage in criminal activity that threatens the health, safety or right of peaceful enjoyment of the premises by other tenants or is a danger to the premises, and not engage in any drug-related criminal activity on or near the premises either personally or by any member of the tenant's household or any guest or other person under the tenant's control.
Return to Healthy Homes