Feb. 24, 2020
Welcome, Invocation and Introductions
- Kevin R. Frost, director, Office of Indian Energy, U.S. Department of Energy
Inter Tribal Council of Arizona (ITCA) Overview
- Maria Dadgar, executive director, Inter Tribal Council of Arizona | Presentation
- Jay Tomkus, counsel, Montgomery & Interpreter–Energy/Water Nexus, A Tribal Perspective
- Brian Bennon, director, Tribal Water Systems, ITCA, Tribal Water Systems in Arizona | Presentation
Western Area Power Administration (WAPA) Overview
Focus: WAPA mission, tribal customer activities, and market and operational drivers/priorities in 2020 and beyond.
- Dawn Roth Lindell, senior vice president and regional manager, Rocky Mountain Region, WAPA | Presentation
Solar and Utility Partnerships
Focus: Gila River Indian Community and its utility partner with Clenera for 50 MW solar project.
- Leonard Gold, general manager, Gila River Indian Community Utility Authority (GRICUA) | Presentation
- John Lewis, chairman, GRICUA | Presentation
Realigning Energy Services
Focus: Proposed realignment of Division of Energy and Mineral Development (DEMD) with the Indian Energy Service Center (IESC) to support Indian energy development.
- Johnna Blackhair, deputy bureau director, Office of Trust Services, U.S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Indian Affairs | Presentation
Navajo Nation Renewable Energy Projects Overview
- Santee Lewis, executive director, Navajo Nation Washington Office
DOE Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy (ARPA-E) Overview
Focus: Offshore energy programs, including macroalgae mariculture and hydrokinetic energy systems.
- Dylan Temple, lead engineer, Booz Allen Hamilton | Presentation
DOE Office of Cybersecurity, Energy Security, and Emergency Response (CESER) Update
Focus: Collaborative Efforts on Emergency Response Initiatives
- Kristy Hartman, energy program director, National Conference of State Legislatures
DOE Tribal STEM Working Group Update
- Melinda Higgins, STEM advisor, CNI Global Solutions, LLC, Office of Nuclear Energy, U.S. DOE | Presentation
Closing Business, Wrapup and Final Comments
Adjourn for the day.
Feb. 25, 2020
Arizona Public Service (APS) Tour (400 N. Fifth St., Phoenix)
Delegates met with senior leadership at APS to discuss utility resource management, including wholesale electricity marketing, transmission operations, diversity in energy portfolios, and the newest tools available in the energy trading space, including the Energy Imbalance Market (EIM). After the presentation, attendees explored the trading floor and witnessed real-time energy traders in action.
Southwest Gas Corporation Tour (5705 S. Kyrene Road, Tempe, Ariz.)
Delegates met with representatives from Southwest Gas Corporation for a tour on natural gas safety, where they saw how employees are trained in safety, service and reliability. The tour included a short presentation about Southwest Gas and a demonstration of the emergency response facility.