The Indian Country Energy and Infrastructure Working Group (ICEIWG) works collaboratively with the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Indian Energy Policy and Programs to assist in surveys, analysis, and recommendations related to program and policy initiatives that fulfill the DOE statutory authorizations and requirements of Title V of the Energy Policy Act of 2005.
The working group was established in May 2011 to bring government and tribal leaders together to collaborate and gain insight into real-time tribal experiences representing obstacles and opportunities in energy and related infrastructure development and capacity building in Indian Country. The Working Group is hosted, managed, and supported as a program initiative in the Office of Indian Energy. It is also supported by the National Conference of State Legislatures through a cooperative agreement.
Goals and Objectives
ICEIWG aims to establish baseline information to guide policy and program prioritization and long-term strategy related to energy and infrastructure development on tribal lands while supporting the Office of Indian Energy’s mission. ICEIWG also provides comments and recommendations on the Office of Indian Energy's Strategic Roadmap and addresses programmatic needs and activities, issues, and concerns at the working level through the following objectives:
- Survey and assess Indian energy business and energy infrastructure development and needs.
- Exchange information about energy development practices, needs, obstacles, and potential solutions, including alternative approaches to energy development in its various forms.
- Develop and disseminate to the public and prospective technology partners information about tribal resources and opportunities.
- Share information, transfer lessons-learned, and inform and be informed on current policy, procedures, and industry partnership mechanisms. Discussion of policy concerns are encouraged with recommendations and/or comments forwarded to the director of the Office of Indian Energy.
DOE Office of Indian Energy Team
- Kevin Frost, director, Washington, D.C.
- Lizana Pierce, project manager, Golden, Colo.
ICEIWG Member Tribes
Alaska Federation of Natives, Anchorage, Alaska
Central Council of Tlingit & Haida Indian Tribes of Alaska, Juneau, Alaska
Husila Village, Husila, Alaska
Metlakatla Indian Community, Metlakatla, Alaska
Native Village of Eklutna, Chugiak, Alaska
Native Village of Kongiganak, Kongiganak, Alaska
Qawalangin Tribe of Unalaska, Unalaska, Alaska
- Q4 Meeting by Zoom Call, (Dec. 9, 2020)
- Q3 Meeting by Zoom Call, (Oct. 28, 2020)
- Q2 Meeting by Zoom Call, (July 29, 2020)
- Q1 Meeting, Fort McDowell, Ariz. (Feb. 24-25, 2020)
- Conference Call, (Dec. 18, 2019)
- Washington, D.C., (Sept. 24-26, 2019) - in conjunction with the National Tribal Energy Summit (NTES)
- Denver, Colo., (July 15-16, 2019)
- Conference call, (Feb. 22, 2019)
- Washington, D.C. (Dec. 6-7, 2018)
- Saint Paul, Minn. (Aug. 29, 2018)
- Albuquerque, N.M. (May 7-8, 2018)
- Washington, D.C. (Sept. 21, 2017)
- Washington, D.C. (May 1-3, 2017) - In conjunction with the 2017 National Tribal Energy Summit
- New Town, N.D. (Oct. 6, 2016) - Co-hosted by Mandan, Hidatsa and Arikara Nation (MHA)
- Portland, Ore. (June 23, 2106) - Co-hosted by Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation of Oregon
- Tulsa, Okla. (April 13, 2016) - Co-hosted by Cherokee Nation and Osage Nation
- Hollywood, Fla. (Jan. 12, 2016) – Co-hosted by Seminole Nation of Florida
- Washington, D.C. (Sept. 23-25, 2015) – In conjunction with the National Tribal Energy Summit
- Rocklin, Calif. (March 5, 2015) – Co-hosted by Blue Lake Rancheria
- Choctaw, Miss. (June 2, 2015) – Co-hosted by Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians
- Chandler, Ariz. (Dec. 11, 2015) – Co-hosted by Gila River Indian Community
- Prior Lake, Minn. (Aug. 25, 2014) – Co-hosted by Ho-Chunk Nation
- San Diego (May 15, 2014) – Co-hosted by Ewiiaapaayp Band of Kumeyaay Indians
- Hollywood, Fla. (Jan. 24, 2014) – Co-hosted by Seminole Tribe of Florida
- Portland, Maine (Sept. 10-11, 2013) – Co-hosted by Passamaquoddy Tribe at Indian Township
- Chandler, Ariz. (May 29, 2013) – Co-hosted by the Gila River Indian Community
- Las Vegas (March 14, 2013)
- Washington, D.C. (Dec. 6, 2012)
- Portland, Ore. (Sept. 21, 2012)
- Golden, Colo. (June 21, 2012)
- New Orleans (March 22, 2012)
- Chandler, Ariz. (Jan. 26, 2012)
- Portland, Ore. (Oct. 30, 2011)