Tuesday, Jan. 12, 2016 | Hollywood, Fla.
The Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Indian Energy (IE) held a quarterly meeting of the Indian Country Energy and Infrastructure Working Group (ICEIWG) on Jan. 12, 2016, at The Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood, Fla. The meeting was sponsored by the Seminole Tribe of Florida.
ICEIWG consists of elected tribal leaders who work collaboratively with U.S. Department of Energy to recommend policies and programs that support energy development, capacity building and electrification in Indian Country.
ICEIWG’s composition of 12 member tribes and two regional Alaska Native non-profits representing more than 56 Alaska Native Villages represent tribes that are developing energy projects, have already established them or can show an evidenced business interest in energy development. ICEIWG provides advice and recommendations on the strategic planning and implementation of DOE’s policies and programs related to energy resources, business and infrastructure development.
ICEIWG meetings typically include two parts:
- Internal administrative discussion.
- Open meeting discussions.
Welcome, Opening Remarks and Introductions
- Chris Deschene, director, U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Indian Energy (IE) Policy and Programs
- Jim Manion, general manager, Warm Springs Power, Confederated Tribes of the Warms Springs Reservation of Oregon
DOE-IE Officials and Points of Contact to ICEIWG
- David Conrad, deputy director, U.S. DOE-IE
- Doug MacCourt, senior advisor, U.S. DOE-IE
- Sarai Geary, program manager, U.S. DOE-IE
Opening Prayer | ICEIWG Member Introductions | Brief Energy Updates
ICEIWG Administrative Matters
Member Discussion | No presentation
- Overview of Agenda
- Distribution and Review of Sept. 2015 ICEIWG Meeting Summary (Washington, DC)
- Review of 2016 Calendar of Events for ICEIWG-related activities
- Future ICEIWG Quarterly Meeting Discussion
- DOE Departmental Updates/Legislative Updates
- DOE/DOI Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)
- Other Business Matters
DOE Indian Energy Program and Budget Updates
Chris Deschene, director | No Presentation
- FY 2016 Activities
- Budget Update and Discussion
ICEIWG Policy Agenda/ FY 2016 Policy Plan
Member Discussion | No Presentation
- Report out from National Tribal Energy Summit
- Prioritize for FY 2016 and FY 2017 DOE-IE Policy Work Plan
Working Lunch — Clean Power Plan Update
Laura McKelvey, group lead, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency | Presentation
- Brief outline of EPA’s Clean Power Plan
- Concept of National Tribal Implementation Plan
White House Council on Native American Affairs Update
Anthony Morgan Rodman, executive director | Presentation
- Update on recent actions and plans in 2016
- Discuss potential ICEIWG role as Indian Country’s Information Liaison
2016 Action Planning
- Identify Needs and Next Steps