Alberta Oil Sands Trip Presentations
November 7-8th, 2011
This NCSL invitational meeting brought 10 legislators to Edmonton, Alberta to meet with the Speaker of the Alberta Assembly, Ken Kowalski, and have information presented to them on the Alberta oil sands – a major domestic energy resource. While on the trip, legislators were able to meet with key officials, tour the Edmonton Waste Centre for Excellence, Syncrude Canada’s Oil Sands Mining Operation and Devon Energy’s Jackfish Project. Presentations, websites and additional links are below.
Monday, November 7
Government of Alberta Briefing
- Alberta’s clean energy strategy
- Overview of the oil sands and how they are developed
- Impact on North American energy security
- Economic implications of oil sands development for both Canada and the U.S.
- Environmental impacts and issues
To view PDF files, the following is a link to install Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Download Presentation (82 pages)
Edmonton Waste Management Centre of Excellence
Tuesday, November 8
Site visit to Syncrude Oil Sands Mining Operation
Site visit to Devon Energy Jackfish Project