The first section of this report offers guidance for approaching the issues of evaluating school principals. It provides background information, discusses the state legislative role, provides information about what legislators need to know, and discusses current research.
The second section features seven policy areas states are using to strengthen principal evaluations:
1. Using statewide leadership (school principal) standards to guide evaluations
2. Measuring performance with student achievement data and using multiple performance
3. Using multiple levels of performance and frequency and timing of evaluations
4. Training and support for evaluators
5. Using evaluation data for continuous improvement of school principals' practice
6. Piloting and implementing evaluations systems
7. Using evaluation data to inform human capital and workforce decisions.
The third section features specific actions state legislators can take to improve principal evaluations systems, concluding remarks, notes and web resources.
To read full report, click here.