School Safety Briefs
The CSG Justice Center recently released five briefs prepared by the National Conference of State Legislatures related to school safety, climate, and discipline-related issues as part of the School Discipline Consensus Project. These briefs summarize state educational statutes passed in 2013, as well as previous legislation on the following topics:
- School Climate and Improvement - This brief spotlights all 50 states’ legislation regarding general school climate, alternative education for suspended and expelled students, and school improvement plans.
- School Discipline Data - This brief provides summaries on the 18 states that collect or otherwise report on school disciplinary actions.
- School Safety Plans - This brief recaps the legislation of 46 states with respect to their requirements for comprehensive school safety or emergency plans.
- Officers in Schools - This brief highlights states that authorize sworn police officers in schools, whether municipal or county school resource officers, or school police officers from school districts’ own police agencies.
- Arming Teachers and K-12 School Staff - This brief enumerates those states that have enacted statutes relating to arming teachers and school staff.
Contact Lauren Heintz in the Denver office for more information on these topics.
View the Briefs (PDF format). To view PDF files, you must install Adobe Acrobat Reader.