Dec. 1, 2020
Denver—Zero states have eliminated money bail, according to a new report about pretrial policy. The report, “The Statutory Framework of Pretrial Release,” by the National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL), provides an analysis of the current statutory and constitutional framework setting a baseline for pretrial policy in the states.
The report is an instructional guide for legislative, executive and judicial actors at the state level in the following sections:
- The Foundation: Constitutional Right to Bail.
- Constitutional Rights and Statutory Guidance on Victim Participation and Safety.
- Statutory Authorization for Types of Release.
- Statutory Options for Conditions of Release.
- Statutory Guidance to Courts on Release.
- Statutory Guidance on Financial Conditions.
Read the “The Statutory Framework of Pretrial Release” report.
NCSL is a bipartisan organization that serves the legislators and staffs of the states, commonwealths and territories. It provides research, technical assistance and opportunities for policymakers to exchange ideas on the most pressing state issues and is an effective and respected advocate for the interests of the states in the American federal system.