The Summit: Coming Together to Work on the Nation’s Pressing Problems
Denver— More than 5,000 attendees hailing from every state are expected at this year’s annual Legislative Summit, Aug. 3-6 in Seattle.
Attendees of the National Conference of State Legislatures’ (NCSL) 41st annual Legislative Summit will hear from a variety of speakers, including:
- Jon Meacham, historian and New York Times best-selling author.
- Piper Kerman, author of “Orange is the New Black,” the inspiration for the award-winning Netflix series.
- Sari de la Motte, Fortune 500 executive consultant in mastering nonverbal intelligence.
- Sheryl Connelly, the automobile industry’s only futurist who is helping change an industry that is arguably affected by trends more than any other.
- Ken Jennings, author and all-time “Jeopardy” champion.
The largest gathering of state lawmakers and legislative staff in the country each year, the Legislative Summit draws legislators, legislative staff, industry leaders and public policy professionals to learn from experts and each other about solutions to the most pressing issues facing states. More than 100 sessions will be held on topics ranging from criminal justice to education, health care to taxes, technology to transportation, and much more.
- Police Body Cameras: Sharing Perspectives
- Legalizing Marijuana: Potholes and Possibilities
- Beyond the Status Quo: Tackling Health System Reforms
- Filling Up the Tank: Funding Transportation
- Immigration Reform
- Economic Engines: Women Owned Businesses Keep the American Dream Alive
- Volatile Oil Prices: Optimism and the Anxiety in the States
- Smart Tax Incentives
- A Better Way to Fund Higher Education
- Integrity: Good People, Bad Choices, and Life Lessons with Egil Krogh, once a White House conspirator
The agenda also includes sessions on the economy, elections, ethics, tax incentives, pensions, poverty, small business development, U.S. Supreme Court decisions and much more.
Reflective of its national membership, NCSL’s Legislative Summit is held in a different city each year. This year’s Summit is projected to generate more than $10 million in economic activity in Seattle. All meetings held in conjunction with NCSL’s Legislative Summit are open to the press. Registration is required, but free to credentialed members of the media. Online registration is open through July 24. Onsite registration for media is available between 7:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. at the Washington State Convention Center. Please review NCSL’s media policy before registering.
NCSL is a bipartisan organization that serves the legislators and staffs of the states, commonwealths and territories. It provides research, technical assistance and opportunities for policymakers to exchange ideas on the most pressing state issues and is an effective and respected advocate for the interests of the states in the American federal system.