Congress Asked to Pass a Fully Funded Bill
Washington, D.C.—The National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL) sent a letter to House and Senate leadership urging Congress to pass a fully funded, long-term surface transportation reauthorization and end the cycle of uncertainty.
The letter also points to some recommendations on how to improve their final long-term surface transportation reauthorization. They include:
- Maintain the creation of a state pilot program to explore funding alternatives to the fuel tax.
- Maintain current 50/50 split in the Surface Transportation Program.
- Continue efforts to streamline regulatory reviews.
- Maintain state flexibility in highway safety programs.
- Authorize a national freight program
- Support the Transportation Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act (TIFIA) while ensuring access to all funding and financing options.
- Strike provisions to rescind contact authorit.y
Read the NCSL letter.
NCSL is a bipartisan organization that serves the legislators and staffs of the states, commonwealths and territories. It provides research, technical assistance and opportunities for policymakers to exchange ideas on the most pressing state issues and is an effective and respected advocate for the interests of the states in the American federal system.