Denver—How did historical events shape how we’re governed today? The National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL)’s new podcast series “Building Democracy: The Story of State Legislatures” tries to answer that question by exploring the history of America’s state legislatures and asking what lies ahead.
Spanning 400 years, this special six-part series of “Our American States” explores the role of state legislators, stories of the legislatures and the important work of democracy. In 2020 a total of six episodes will be released every two months, as follows:
- Episode 1 | Jan. 23 | Virginia: America’s First Start Up
- Episode 2 | March 26 | Legislatures in the Revolutionary War Era
- Episode 3 | May 28 | Early Western Legislatures
- Episode 4 | July 23] | Leading on Women’s Suffrage
- Episode 5 | Sept. 24 | The Modern Legislature
- Episode 6 | Nov. 5 | The Future of State Legislatures
The “Our American States” podcast is where listeners hear compelling conversations that tell the story of America’s state legislatures. Subscribe through iTunes or Google Play.
NCSL is a bipartisan organization that serves the legislators and staffs of the states, commonwealths and territories. It provides research, technical assistance and opportunities for policymakers to exchange ideas on the most pressing state issues and is an effective and respected advocate for the interests of the states in the American federal system.