NCSL 2016 Legislative Summit: New Ideas, Fresh Perspectives, and Developing Solutions to Pressing Issues
Denver—More than 5,000 attendees hailing from every state are expected at the National Conference of State Legislature (NCSL) annual Legislative Summit Aug. 8-11 at McCormick Place in Chicago, Ill. The Summit is the largest gathering of state lawmakers and legislative staff in the country.
NCSL’s Legislative Summit is a platform for legislators, staff and other public policy professionals to learn from experts, as well as each other, about solutions to the country’s most pressing state issues. With over 100 sessions, attendees will be able to learn and engage in topics ranging from criminal justice, education and health care to taxes, technology and transportation.
Attendees at the NCSL 42nd annual Legislative Summit will hear from a variety of speakers, including:
- Hugh Acheson, Bravo’s Top Chef and James Beard Award winning chef
- Karlyn Bowman, American Enterprise Institute
- Ron Insana, CNBC Senior Analyst and Commentator
- Jim Johnson, Professor at University of North Carolina
- Ted Koppel, Author and news anchor veteran of ABC News
- Mara Liasson, FOX News Sunday, NPR
- Jeanine Pirro, Former prosecutor, FOX News “Justice with Judge Jeanine”
Other Summit highlights include:
- Fighting Hunger in America
- Police Worn Body Cameras: Data and Privacy
- State Activity and the Future of Daily Fantasy Sports
- Teacher Shortages: Crisis or Opportunity
- Immigration Reform
- Prescription Drugs and Costs: Challenges and Opportunity
- Personalized Student Learning: The Future of Education
- The Military, Your Community, and the Economy
- Trends in State Tax Reform
- The State of State Pension Funding and Underfunding
The agenda also includes sessions on the economy, elections, the criminal justice system, taxes, poverty, small business development, education and much more.
Reflective of its national membership, NCSL’s Legislative Summit is held in a different city each year. This year’s Summit is projected to generate more than $10 million in economic activity in Chicago. All meetings held in conjunction with NCSL’s Legislative Summit are open to the press. Registration is required, but free to credentialed members of the media. Online registration is open through Aug. 11; on-site registration for media is available between 7:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. at McCormick Place. Please review NCSL’s media policy before registering.
NCSL is a bipartisan organization that serves the legislators and staffs of the states, commonwealths and territories. It provides research, technical assistance and opportunities for policymakers to exchange ideas on the most pressing state issues and is an effective and respected advocate for the interests of the states in the American federal system.