The NCSL Health and Human Services (HHS) Committee activities at the 2016 NCSL Legislative Summit in Chicago, Ill included a federal update, a discussion of federal activities impacting state statutes and regulations, and policy discussion. Policies and materials pertinent to issues discussed are listed below.
Federal Update – A review of key federal regulatory, legislative and court actions related to health and human services programs. Presentation
Speaker: Joy Johnson Wilson, HHS Policy Director, NCSL, Washington D.C.
The following are policies under the jurisdiction of the Health and Human Services Committee that were adopted during the 2016 Legislative Summit.
- Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome/HIV-Infection
- Federal Regulation of Interstate and Internet Tobacco Sales
- Federal Funding to Assist States to Improve Services to Underserves People and Areas to Address Health Profession Shortages
- NCSL Supports National Health IT Week 2016
- Health, Human Services and Food and Nutrition Programs: Legislative, Regulatory and Administrative Initiatives (2016- 2017)
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
- Principles for Federal Health Insurance Reform
- Public Health
- Social Security Disability Insurance
- Social Services and Supports for Families and Individuals
- Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment Block Grant and Community Mental Health Services Block Grant
- Veteran’s Health
Policy Directives and Resolutions Adopted at the 2016 Legislative Summit
New Federal Information/Resources
NCSL web resources
NCSL Comments on Federal Regulatory Actions
Pertinent Federal Resource Pages
NCSL Health and Human Services & State Federal Relations Staff Contacts
Joy Johnson Wilson, Policy Director, Health & Human Services (firstname.lastname@example.org; 202-624-8689)
Rachel Bevins Morgan, RN, BSN, Senior Committee Director (email@example.com; 202-624-3569)