Capitol to Capitol is an information service of the Washington D.C., office of the National Conference of State Legislatures.
Capitol to Capitol provides up-to-the-minute information on important federal legislation, and advises members of when to contact their congressional delegations to show support or disapproval of bills that affect the states. Published since 1994, Capitol to Capitol comes out on an as-needed basis, averaging approximately one issue per week over the calendar year.
- Feb. 10, 2020: NCSL in D.C.
- Feb 3, 2020: NCSL in D.C.
- Jan 27, 2020: NCSL in D.C.
- Jan. 21, 2020: Senate Passes USMCA, Now Awaits Trump’s Signature
- Jan. 13, 2020: On Heels of FY 2020 Appropriations Enactment, President Set to Release FY 2021 Budget in February
- Dec. 16, 2019: Congress Reaches Overall Spending Deal, Will Take Up Spending Bills This Week
- Dec. 9, 2019: NCSL in D.C.
- Nov. 25, 2019: NCSL in D.C.
- Nov. 18, 2019: From NCSL in D.C.
- Nov. 5, 2019: From NCSL in D.C.
- Oct. 28, 2019: NCSL State and Local Cybersecurity Day on the Hill
- Oct. 21, 2019: NCSL in D.C.
- Oct. 7, 2019: Surprise Billing and Prescription Drugs, Congress Marches On
- Sept. 30, 2019: Stopgap Funding for Federal Government Enacted
- Sept. 24, 2019: House Passes CR to Stop Shutdown
- Sept. 16, 2019: NCSL Letters to Capitol Hill
- Sept. 9, 2019: Senate Appropriations Work Begins
- Aug. 19, 2019: Senate Infrastructure Committee Approves New Five-Year Transportation Bill
- July 29, 2019: Letter of Support for State Cyber Resiliency Act
- July 22, 2019: House Passes Minimum Wage Increase
- July 15, 2019: U.S. Budget Gap Widens
- July 1, 2019: House Passes Senate Emergency Border Bill
- June 24, 2019: House Democrats Advance Major Tax Package
- June 18, 2019: House Continues to Take up “Mini-Bus” Appropriations Package
- June 10, 2019: House Passes the American Dream and Promise Act of 2019
- June 3, 2019: Draft Health Care Costs Proposal Released by Senate
- May 28, 2019: Senate Approves Long-Awaited Disaster Relief Bill
- May 20, 2019: FY 2020 Appropriations Bills Moving Forward
- May 14, 2019: FY 2020 Discretionary Spending Levels
- May 6, 2019: House Passes Its First Climate Change Bill in a Decade
- April 23, 2019: Spending Caps Negotiations a Priority
- April 8, 2019: House Eschews Budget to Advance Spending Caps Negotiations
- April 1, 2019: Congressional Budget Writers at Odds Over FY 2020 Spending Limits
- March 25, 2019: FY 2020 Budget Update
- March 18, 2019: Congress in Recess
- March 11, 2019: President Releases FY 2020 Budget
- March 5, 2019: House Passes National Emergency Resolution of Disapproval, Senate Poised to Vote Soon
- Feb. 25, 2019: Military Services Testify on Emergency Declaration Impacts on State MILCON Funds
- Feb. 11, 2019: The National Emergencies Act
- Feb. 4, 2019: A Major Step in Fixing Systems of Election
- Jan. 28, 2019: Partial Shutdown Ends, Conferees Named for DHS Funding Bill
- Jan. 15, 2019: USDA Shutdown Update
- Jan. 7, 2019: Partial Federal Government Shutdown Continues
- Dec. 17, 2018: No Progress on Appropriations
- Dec. 11, 2018: Government Shutdown Avoided…for the Moment
- Nov. 26, 2018: The Clock on the 115th Congress Continues to Wind Down
- Nov. 14, 2018: Laundry List of To-Do’s Remain for the Lame Duck
- Oct. 29, 2018: NCSL Capitol Forum Policy Deadline is Nov. 7
- Oct. 22, 2018: U.S. Budget Deficit Swells
- Oct. 15, 2018: Countdown to the Next Showdown
- Oct. 1, 2018: Shutdown Averted...For Two Months
- Sept. 24, 2018: New Tariffs Could Imact Consumer/Elections
- Sept. 17, 2018: Legislation Introduced to Tie States’ Hands on Sales Taxes
- Sept. 10, 2018: Tax Custs 2.0 Tension
- Sept. 4, 2018: Congress Returns to a "Full Plate"
- Aug. 20, 2018: Budget Showdown Begins and Time is Running Out
- Aug. 13, 2018: Is it Almost Mueller Time?
- July 23, 2018: The House: See you in September
- July 16, 2018: "Setting States' Agenda" at NCSL Legislative Summit
- July 9, 2018: Another Supreme Court Nominee, But Different Politics
- June 25, 2018: In the Name of Federalism and Free Markets
- June 18, 2018: SCOTUS Will Issue Opinions in Next Two Weeks
- June 11, 2018: North Korea, Immigration, Net Neutrality and Trade
- June 4, 2018: Congress Returns to an Immigration Debate
- May 21, 2018: Immigration Politics Sink Farm Bill in the House
ARCHIVE: Previous Issues can be found on the Capitol to Capitol Archive page here.
TRIVIA ARCHIVE: Trivia from previous issues of Capitol to Capitol can be found in a sortable table here.
NCSL’s Advocacy in Washington
NCSL’s Washington staff advocate Congress, the White House, and federal agencies on behalf of state legislatures in accord with the policy directives and resolutions that are recommended by the NCSL Standing Committees and adopted by the full conference at the annual NCSL Legislative Summit Business Meeting. As a result of the advocacy that is guided by these policy positions, NCSL is recognized as a formidable lobbying force in state-federal relations.
More information on the NCSL Policy Process can be found here.
NCSL Staff in Washington, D.C.