President’s FY 2022 Budget
President Joe Biden released the complete details of his fiscal 2022 budget proposal, requesting $6 trillion in spending and a $1.8 trillion annual deficit. The administration requested increases across most departments and agencies, including a 6.5% boost to nondefense discretionary spending, while proposing a 1.6% increase for defense activities. The House and Senate will resume what is expected to be a protracted and partisan appropriations process when lawmakers return this week. Read our analysis of salient provisions with potential impacts for states. Read more.
Department of Education Guidance Allows States to Request Data for Student Loan Oversight
New guidance outlines a streamlined and expedited process for any federal, state or local authorities to request access to information to conduct oversight or investigations of student loan servicers or collection agencies. The department says it intends to exercise its authority to collaborate and coordinate with state agencies and financial regulators. Read more.
In Every Edition
Read the June 3 Capitol to Capitol.
NCSL’s Advocacy in Washington
NCSL’s Washington staff advocates on behalf of state legislatures before Congress, the White House and federal agencies in accord with the policy directives and resolutions that are recommended by the NCSL Standing Committees and adopted by the full conference at the annual NCSL Legislative Summit Business Meeting. As a result of the advocacy that is guided by these policies’ positions, NCSL is recognized as a formidable lobbying force in state-federal relations.
NCSL Staff in Washington, D.C.
- Molly Ramsdell | 202-624-3584 | Director
- Erlinda Doherty | 202-624-8698 | Budgets and Revenue
- Susan Frederick | 202-624-3566 | Law, Criminal Justice, and Public Safety
- Abbie Gruwell 202-624-3569 | Commerce and Financial Services
- Ben Husch | 202-624-7779 | Natural Resources and Infrastructure
- Jon Jukuri | 202-624-8663 | Labor, Economic Development and International Trade
- Haley Nicholson | 202-624-8662 | Health
- Margaret Wile | 202-624-8171 | Human Services
- Austin Reid | 202-624-8678 | Education