America's Legislators Back to School Program
Media Promotion Strategies
Promoting the America's Legislators Back to School Program within your community and your state is an important component in the success of this event. Personal contact with students, teachers, legislative colleagues and the media help to make more people aware of the role of a legislator in today's society.
Here are some ways for legislators to promote the America's Legislators Back to School Program.
- Speeches. In your remarks to civic and community organizations, talk about the values of public service. Demonstrate how the America's Legislators Back to School Program is working to teach young people the critical role citizens and legislators play in this process.
- Press Releases. Announce your participation in the America's Legislators Back to School Program well in advance. A generic release that you can personalize is available online. Contact with the media should emphasize that this is part of a national effort to raise awareness of the legislative process and the need for free and open debate of issues. The event could attract the interest of newspaper photographers, radio reporters and television crews. Remember to always check in advance with a school on its policy of allowing the media inside schools and classroom.
- Newspaper columns. If you are given space in your local newspaper for a periodic column, consider using it to promote the America's Legislators Back to School Program. For those who do not write a column, you may wish to write an op-ed piece or a simple letter to the editor outlining the goals of the project.
- Radio shows. Most communities have a talk radio program and many are constantly looking for program ideas. Suggest devoting a few minutes to the show's producer and make yourself available for an interview or to serve as a guest on the program.
- Communications. You undoubtedly have methods in place to communicate with local teachers, principals, superintendents and other key school personnel. Remember to include information about the America's Legislators Back to School Program and to emphasize your commitment to civic education.
- Feedback. Please share your promotion experiences with NCSL after the event is over.
For further information about the America's Legislators Back to School Program, please call (303) 364-7700; or send an email to BTSP@ncsl.org.