Legislative Staff University: Leadership in Challenging Times
NCSL 2010 Legislative Summit: Monday, July 26
Representative Jay Kaufman, Massachusetts, founding director of Northeastern University’s Center for Leadership and Public Life.
Designing innovative solutions to thorny issues is important in tough budget times, particularly when the public's trust in government is waning. This session describes essential leadership skills to motivate and inspire that can make a difference in policymaking and personnel management. It focuses on the elements of a leadership culture, including:
- Vision/goals articulated, aligned and alive.
- Shared accountability and responsibility.
- “Water cooler” conversations into the main.
- Smart risk taking rewarded.
- Diversity and voices of dissent honored.
- Individual growth—personal and professional—nurtured.