2009 Legislative Staff Achievement Awards
The NCSL Legislative Staff Sections and the Education Staff Network annually present Legislative Staff Achievement Awards to recognize staff excellence in supporting the work of a state legislature and strengthening the legislative institution. Each of the staff sections may make two awards, and each decides the criteria for its awards. The staff chair of the NCSL Standing Committees also may name two award recipients. Examples of accomplishments recognized by the Legislative Staff Achievement Award include, but are not limited to:
- Helping to improve the effectiveness of the legislative institution.
- Supporting the legislative process and the mission of the legislature.
- Exhibiting a high degree of professionalism, competence and integrity in serving the legislature and the public.
- Contributing to the work of the National Conference of State Legislatures.
- Demonstrating expertise in a particular field.
- Contributing to existing knowledge.
Standing Committee Staff Chair's Awards
- Patrick Flahaven, Former Secretary Of The Senate, Minnesota
- David Juppe, Senior Manager, Dept Of Legislative Services, Office Of Policy Analysis, Maryland General Assembly
American Society of Legislative Clerks and Secretaries (ASLCS)
- Tara Perkinson, Deputy Clerk, Virginia Senate
- Alfred W. "Butch" Speer, Clerk,Louisiana House Of Representatives
Leadership Staff Section (LSS)
- Barbara C. Oakes, House Administrator, Maryland House Of Delegates
- Erlinda Campbell, Leadership Analyst, President Pro Tem’s Office, New Mexico Senate
Legal Services Staff Section (LSSS)
- Michael J. Chernick, Legislative Counsel, Legislative Council, Vermont
Legislative Information and Communications Staff (LINCS)
- Mike Murphy, Public Information Officer, Alabama Senate
Legislative Research Librarians Staff Section (LRL)
- Susan M. Southworth. Legislative Librarian, Connecticut General Assembly
- Cathy L. Martin, Legislative Librarian, North Carolina General Assembly
National Association of Legislative Fiscal Offices (NALFO)
- David Abbey, Director, Legislative Finance Committee, New Mexico Legislature
- Sharon Reynolds Ferland, Deputy Fiscal Advisor, Rhode Island House Of Representatives
National Association of Legislative Information Technology (NALIT)
- Maryann Trauger, Manager, Information Technology Services, North Dakota Legislative Assembly
- Office Of Information Technology, Florida House Of Representatives
National Legislative Program Evaluation Society (NLPES)
- Utah Office Of The Legislative Auditor General
National Legislative Services and Security Association (NLSSA)
- The Senate And House Staff Of The Alabama Legislature
Research and Committee Staff Section (RACSS)
- Guy Cherry, Senior Policy Analyst, Office Of Policy Analysis, Department Of Legislative Services, Maryland General Assembly
- Patrick O'Grady, Executive Director, Legislative Research Unit, Illinois General Assembly
Legislative Education Staff Network (LESN)
- Mark Hudson, Senior Legislative Analyst, Bureau Of Legislative Research, Arkansas General Assembly