Your On-Line Connection to the Latest Fiscal Information in the States
NCSL and National Association of Legislative Fiscal Offices (NALFO) Updates
- There is less than one week left to register for NCSL’s Fiscal Analysts Seminar! The seminar will take place in Annapolis, Oct. 7-9. Get more information and register online here. View the online agenda here.
- Business Income Taxes. This NCSL brief includes an overview of business income tax rates and trends across the states.
- State Aid to Local Government. Using U.S. Census Bureau data, this NCSL brief includes a 50 state table of state aid to local governments, and local general revenue per capita.
State News and Reports
- Arizona. The Joint Legislative Budget Committee published a presentation outlining the history of Arizona’s individual income tax system.
- Florida. The Senate Committee on Appropriations, the House Appropriations Committee and the Legislative Office of Economic and Demographic Research jointly published Florida’s updated “Long-Range Financial Outlook,” covering FY 2014 through FY 2017.
- Michigan. The House Fiscal Agency released a brief assessing the states’ recently created Roads and Risks Reserve Fund, budget savings under the Medicaid expansion, and possible risks for the current state budget.
- North Carolina. The Fiscal Research Division published a brief of fiscal and policy highlights from the 2013 legislative session.
- Wisconsin. The Legislative Fiscal Bureau issued a brief discussing the fiscal impact on the state of fully implementing the common core standards, or developing an alternative set of college and career readiness standards.
Federal News and Reports
Other Items of Interest
- The Rockefeller Institute of Government published a “Data Alert,” which showed strong income tax collections according to preliminary data for the April-June quarter of 2013.
- Terance Rephann of the University of Virginia studied the economic impact of the state’s higher education system on the state. The study includes economic activity generated by the university, and the economic production of graduates.
- Morningstar, Inc., published “The State of State Pensions,” which examines pension shortfalls and surpluses across the 50 states.
- Architecture, Engineering, Construction, Operations and Management (AECOM) published a white paper focused on fostering more private sector involvement in United States infrastructure.
- The Brookings Institution created an interactive map of exports from metro areas across the states. State profiles are also available for download on the website.
If you would like to be added to the distribution list for The Fiscal Link, or know a legislator or legislative staff person who should be added, just ask Erica Michel or Todd Haggerty.
View Past Issues of The Fiscal Link
NOTE: Links to external websites and reports are for information purposes only and do not indicate NCSL’s endorsement of the content on those sites.