The Fiscal Link - March 2013
The Fiscal Link - March 2013
Your On-Line Connection to the Latest Fiscal Information in the States
NCSL & National Association of Legislative Fiscal Offices (NALFO) Updates
- State Sales and Use Taxes. This brief includes state sales tax rates in 2013 and the percentage of revenues states received from the general sales tax in 2011.
- State Personal Income Taxes. This report provides information on state personal income tax structures and rates for 2012.
- 2013 Legislative Staff Management Institute. The Legislative Staff Management Institute (July 13-20, 2013, Sacramento, California) is the nation’s premier program for developing and enhancing management and leadership skills for legislative staffers. The University of Southern California Sol Price School of Public Policy and the California State University Sacramento Center for California Studies co-direct this world-class, executive management program. Applications are now being accepted for the 2013 program.
State News & Reports
- California. The Legislative Analyst’s Office published a report examining the effects of state employee furloughs on leave balances and whether large leave balances are a problem for the state.
- Colorado. Legislative Council published an Issue Brief detailing the sources of revenue to the State Highway Fund (SHF), the primary operating fund used by the Colorado Department of Transportation and a summary of the impact of "The American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012" on the state’s revenue forecast.
- Maryland. The Office of Policy Analysis released a brief examining the state’s rainy day fund. The update also examines the reserve fund policies of AAA-rated states’ rainy day funds.
- Michigan. The House Fiscal Agency issued a report discussing the sources of revenue for community colleges across the state.
- Utah. The Office of the Legislative Fiscal Analyst released an issue brief on the restructuring of fees for the Division of Parks and Recreation that allows park managers to set fees for their park within an allowed limit.
- Vermont. The Joint Legislative Fiscal Office released an issue brief on federal sequestration, including a section on “things to consider” for Vermont relative to the upcoming state budget.
Federal News & Reports
Other Items of Interest
- The American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) has launched a 50-state transportation finance and governance online database.
- The State Higher Education Executive Officers (SHEEO) published their annual report titled “State Higher Education Finance.”
- The Pew Center on the States published an infographic depicting federal grant funding to states subject to the sequester.
- The Cost-Benefit Knowledge Bank for Criminal Justice interviewed Tracey Kyckelhahn of the Bureau of Justice Statistics about sources for justice system costs and the challenges with collecting and analyzing them.
If you would like to be added to the distribution list for The Fiscal Link, or know a legislator or legislative staff person who should be added, contact Erica Michel or Todd Haggerty.
View Past Issues of The Fiscal Link
NOTE: Links to external websites and reports are for information purposes only and do not indicate NCSL’s endorsement of the content on those sites.