Previous Award Recipients
Melody DeBussey, Former Director, Senate Budget and Evaluation Office, Georgia
For her dedicated service in the Georgia Senate, the National Association of Legislative Fiscal Offices (NALFO) is pleased to present Melody DeBussey with a 2022 Staff Achievement Award. Melody DeBussey was a part of the Georgia Senate Budget and Evaluation Office from 2011 to 2022, and served as the Director for 9 years. Melody displayed extraordinary commitment both to the legislative institution and to her staff. She was a strong voice for professional development opportunities that would enhance the skills of Senate Budget and Evaluation Office staff and legislative fiscal staff around the country. Melody also displayed this commitment as an involved and conscientious member of NALFO, providing thoughtful guidance as an officer and President of the Association.
Known as a calming force in the Georgia legislature, Melody was consistent and unflappable in the face of pressure, a trait that served the legislature well in 2020 as the COVID-19 pandemic forced a complete rewrite of the state’s budget to prepare for an economic downturn. Melody also expanded the capabilities of the Senate Budget and Evaluation Office, including the development of off-session projects that helped engage and educate legislators and legislative staff on a variety of topics. She helped legislators prepare for upcoming sessions, and the office became a go-to source for information beyond fiscal topics.
Melody embodies the spirit of public service, always remembering that taxpayer dollars provide services for the people of Georgia, and she worked to ensure those dollars were maximized and responsibly spent. While she has left the Senate Budget and Evaluation Office, her work and strong leadership will be remembered and will help carry the office forward for many years.
The Workforce Program Review Team, Office of Fiscal and Management Analysis (OFMA), Legislative Services Agency, Indiana
The Workforce Program Review Team has been charged by the Indiana legislature with an in-depth examination of state workforce programs. Over the past three interims, the Team has successfully developed a schedule of 54 state workforce programs to review over the course of five years. The Team has already tackled some of the largest programs in terms of funding and populations served. For 2020, the team reviewed eight programs with total biennial expenditures of $524 million, serving an average of 284,600 participants on an annual basis.
Conducting these reviews has required analysis of large and complex data sets, and the team was able to successfully accomplish this, while also pivoting research questions to reflect the challenges faced by program administrators during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The team’s work has resulted in significant findings for the Indiana General Assembly. Additionally, the data analysis work has expanded the research and analytical capabilities the OFMA that have been used in other fiscal research.
Tom Davis, Budget Director, Senate Majority Policy Office (SMPO), Michigan
Tom joined the Michigan Senate Majority Policy Office in 2004, bringing a wealth of experience in a broad range of policy areas including higher education, the capital outlay process, local government and transportation. Tom previously worked as the Chief of Staff for the Appropriations Committee Chair, providing guidance on the complex Michigan budget. Legislators, staff and members of the community all seek out Tom’s advice for this vast knowledge the budget process.
Among his staff, Tom is respected for his team-first approach, and greatly admired for his leadership. He strives to help staff build confidence in budget policy areas and political astuteness, providing staff with the opportunity to participate in the appropriations process.
Tom is celebrated for his distinguished service in the Senate Majority Policy Office, and his invaluable knowledge of the Michigan legislature and appropriations process.
- Don Richards, budget and fiscal administrator, Wyoming
- Chloe Wexler, fiscal data anaylst, Vermont
- Patrick Goldsmith, House Fiscal Division, Louisiana
- Joel Michael and Steve Hinze, House Research Office, Minnesota
- Stephanie Morrison and Sam Schaefer, Legislative Fiscal Division, Montana
- Christopher Woods, Budget Director, Office of the Speaker, California Assembly
- Tax Incentive Review Team, Office of Fiscal Management, Legislative Services Agency, Indiana
- Martha Wigton, Director, House Budget and Research Office, Georgia
- Ryan Miller, Principal Fiscal and Policy Analyst, Legislative Analyst’s Office, California
- John Rohrer, Coordinator, Office of Policy Analysis, Department of Legislative Services, Maryland
- Norris Green, Director, Alabama Legislative Fiscal Office
- Russell Frandsen, Analyst, Office of the Utah Legislative Fiscal Analyst
- David J. Rosen, Ph.D., Legislative Budget and Finance Officer for the New Jersey Office of Legislative Services
- Amanda Bickel, Chief Legislative Analyst, and Steve Allen, Senior Legislative Analyst, Colorado Joint Budget Committee
- Sarah Franklin, Senior Research Associate, Legislative Research Unit, Illinois
- John O’Brien Director, Legislative Budget Board, Texas
- Cathy Higgins, House Budget Analysis Director, Office of Legislative Budget Analysis, Tennessee
- William Marx, Chief Fiscal Analyst, House of Representatives, Minnesota
- Taryn Purdy, Principal Fiscal Analyst, Legislative Fiscal Division, Montana
- David Abbey, Director, Legislative Finance Committee, New Mexico
- Sharon Reynolds Ferland, Deputy Fiscal Advisor, House of Representatives, Rhode Island
- Hadley Johnson, Jr., Deputy Legislative Analyst, Legislative Analyst's Office, California
- Property Tax Team, Office of Fiscal and Management Analysis, Legislative Services Agency, Indiana
- Richard E. Hickman, Jr., Deputy Staff Director, Senate Finance Committee, Virginia
- Kevin Madigan, Deputy Senate Fiscal Advisor, Senate Fiscal Office, Rhode Island
- Gary Karger, Fiscal Analyst, House Fiscal Analysis Department, Minnesota
- James Landers, Senior Fiscal Analyst, Office of Fiscal and Management Analysis, Legislative Services Agency, Indiana
- Dennis Prouty, Director, Legislative Services Agency, Iowa
- Terry Johnson, Principal Fiscal Analyst, Legislative Fiscal Agency, Montana
- Warren G. Deschenaux, Director, Office of Policy Analysis, Department of Legislative Services, Maryland
- William G. Black, House of Representatives, Louisiana
- Michael Kjar and the Meribah Development Team, Office of the Legislative Fiscal Analyst, Utah
- Don Eckhart, Legislative Service Commission, Ohio
- Robert Sigalow, Legislative Services Agency, Indiana
- Wisconsin Legislative Fiscal Bureau Staff
- Cathy Holland-Smith, Fiscal Officer for Legislative Services, Legislative Services Office, Idaho
- Alan D. Conroy, Chief Legislative Fiscal Analyst, Legislative Research Department, Kansas
- Michigan House Fiscal Agency Video Project -- William Hamilton and Hank Prince
- Greta M. Rymal, Assistant Director, Legislative Budget Board, Texas
- David Thurman, Senior Budget Specialist, Office of Legislative Budget Analysis, Tennessee
- David A. Brunson, Assistant Director, Ohio Legislative Budget Office, Ohio
- Jeffrey Youtz, Supervisor, Legislative Budget & Policy Analysis, Idaho
- Catherine Benham, Associate Fiscal Officer, Joint Fiscal Office, Vermont
- Alfred J. Ferguson, Assistant Executive Director, House Committee on Appropriations, Pennsylvania