Under the direction of the Speaker of the New Jersey General Assembly, the Multicultural Media Specialist serves as a key strategist to help communicate with all communities in one of the most diverse states in the country. Reporting to the Deputy Director of Communications, the chosen candidate will serve as a crucial communicator for a caucus that is leading on issues like affordability for New Jersey families, gun violence prevention, economic development, and pandemic recovery efforts. The chosen candidate will be a key component of the communications team and will oversee a significantly expanded footprint in communications with New Jersey’s diverse communities. The chosen candidate will identify opportunities to engage with a diverse population through strategic communications and a strategic vision to strengthen relationships among key constituencies. The Media Specialist will be comfortable working across all media platforms – print, video and digital. Through building relationships and establishing regular communications with the state’s non-English speaking press, the chosen candidate will be responsible for driving a narrative that showcases the agenda of Assembly leadership. The position will play a key role in amplifying and enhancing the Assembly’s broader communications plan among non-English press to ensure consistent media coverage, including a calendar of planned media events, releases and op-eds on policy positions, and developing a media narrative that speaks to both insiders as well as constituents across the state.
- Implementing a media relations plan for non-English and diverse press that communicates the caucus’ priorities on making the state affordable for working families
- Identifying key growth communities and the media through which those communities engage with policy makers to develop a communications plan to significantly expand communications outreach to those communities.
- Writing press releases and media advisories
- Translating press releases and advisories for non-English speaking audiences
- Ability to shoot and edit video
- Working with legislative staff to effectively communicate member messages
- Handling media inquiries and maintaining relationships with reporters
- Writing and pitching op-eds
- Planning, pitching and executing press events
- 2-5 years working in communications with demonstrated experience in dealing with media, public policy, government relations, or other related experience.
- Strong writing skills and a demonstrated ability to translate policy goals into language that members of the public can understand are required.
Industry-leading health, dental and vision plans; 19 vacation days and 15 sick days per year; Enrollment in NJ Public Employees Retirement System, a defined benefit pension and optional 457 plan.
How to Apply
To apply please email a writing sample, cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.