The Deputy Communications Director will oversee the earned media strategy for the Assembly Democratic Office. Reporting to the Director of Communications, the chosen candidate will work with the Director of Communications to develop and implement a proactive strategy designed to ensure that the office’s policy goals are accurately represented in traditional media outlets, from the Statehouse press corps and in local and regional outlets throughout the state. The Deputy Communications Director will drive a communications strategy that highlights the office’s leadership in an exciting time in New Jersey history and on issues ranging from affordability for New Jersey families to gun violence prevention, economic development to pandemic recovery efforts. The Deputy Communications Director will oversee a communications team that develops press releases, media advisories and pitches for television, broadcast and online outlets. The chosen candidate will also work with the communications office and partisan staff to develop and manage earned media events, from tours to press conferences, at locations ranging from the Statehouse to locations across New Jersey. The Deputy Communications Director will also play an integral role in responding to press inquiries that come in and will work with individual legislators and their staffs on highlighting important policy priorities.
- Handling media inquiries and maintaining relationships with reporters
- Media outreach and proactive pitching
- Working with the Communications Director to manage flow of communications between the Speaker, Director of Communications and the General Assembly
- Working with legislative staff to effectively communicate legislative priorities
- Writing speeches, public statements, media advisories and releases
- Planning, pitching and executing press events
- Other duties as directed by the Director of Communications
The position works closely with policy staff in the office to communicate effectively and efficiently about the agenda of the leadership team, as well as with outreach staff to ensure that constituents are well informed about our members’ initiatives.
The position will also work closely with other caucus members and their staff as well as the Senior Leadership within the Majority Office. The position is a full-time, in-person position based in the New Jersey Statehouse, with significant in-state travel required.
- 5-7 years working in communications with increasingly responsible experience in dealing with media, public policy, government relations, or other related experience.
- Strong writing skills, communication skills and a demonstrated ability to translate policy goals into language that members of the public can understand are required.
Industry-leading health, dental and vision plans; 19 vacation days and 15 sick days per year; Enrollment in NJ Public Employees Retirement System, a defined benefit pension and optional 457 plan.
How to Apply
To apply please email a writing sample, cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.