The Tampa Convention Center will host NCSL’s 2021 Legislative Summit.
NCSL’s Legislative Summit Offers Inspiration, Connections and Policy Experts
By Gene Rose | Sept. 27, 2021 | | State Legislatures News Print
NCSL’s Legislative Summit returns this year, giving the nation’s state legislators and staff a rare opportunity to reconnect, dive into policy issues and walk away inspired for legislative sessions in 2022.
The event takes place Nov. 3-5 at the Tampa Convention Center and features public policy experts, professional development opportunities and high-profile speakers, including:
- John Medina, a molecular biologist and author of the bestseller “Brain Rules,” which shares 12 principles for surviving and thriving in one’s job, along with fascinating insights into the way the brain works at work. He’ll offer strategies on how to make the most of the mind and how to improve communications with legislative colleagues.
- Vernice “FlyGirl” Armour, America’s first Black female combat pilot, served two tours of duty in Iraq as a Marine. She was also a diversity liaison officer to the Pentagon for Headquarters Marine Corps. After her military service, FlyGirl revved up her career in the private sector as an entrepreneur, a business consultant to business and the author of “Zero to Breakthrough: The 7-Step, Battle-Tested Method for Accomplishing Goals That Matter.”
The 2021 Legislative Summit includes more than 50 public policy sessions on the nation’s most critical issues, from the economy, criminal justice, education and elections to health, infrastructure, natural resources, redistricting and technology.
Here are some of the sessions NCSL has planned:
- Economic Outlook
- Prepping for the Next Pandemic
- Rethink and Rebuild: Transforming Education in a Post-Pandemic World
- Modernizing Today’s Workforce for Tomorrow’s World
- Building Better Budgets for Real-World Results
- The Evolution of Policing in America
- From Zero to 65-plus: A High-Speed Look at a Lifetime of Mental Health
- Supreme Court Watch: What States Need to Know Now
- Weathering the Storm: Infrastructure Strategies for the Future
- The Redistricting Road Map: Where Are We Now
The Institution and Professional Development
NCSL’s expertise and concentration on the operation of state legislatures will be on full display. Some of the sessions being offered are:
- Balancing Act: Why Legislative Oversight Matters in an Emergency
- How Technology Is Reshaping State Legislatures
- Safety at the People’s House
- From Email to Ransomware: Cyberattacks at the Statehouse
- Ethical Challenges and Changes After COVID-19
Attendees also may improve their professional skills at the NCSL 2021 Legislative Summit. Sessions are planned on navigating in a polarized world, negotiation, telling great stories, the language of leadership and civil discourse.
Health and Safety
The 2020 Legislative Summit was cancelled because of the pandemic, and NCSL is taking special precautions for the 2021 meeting. Comprehensive planning is taking place to produce an event that lives up to the organization’s high standards. This includes taking numerous health and safety steps to ensure a safe meeting.
Register for the meeting today!