1. Information We Collect
We may collect personal information about you, meaning information that can uniquely identify you, from various sources, such as:
- Directly from you when you use the Services, such as when you register for an account, register for one of our meetings or for our training, or otherwise access certain features or content on our website.
- Social networks through which you may access the Services or otherwise interact with us.
- Our affiliates, service providers, business partners, and other third parties.
The personal information we may collect about you may include, without limitation:
- Contact information, such as name, postal address, email address, and phone number.
- Demographic information, such as age, date of birth, gender, job information, and postal code.
- Login information, such as username, password, and security questions and answers.
- Payment and financial details, such as payment card number, expiration date, authentication code, billing address, and bank account number.
When you use the Services, we may also collect certain information by automated means, such as cookies and web beacons. A “cookie” is a text file that websites send to a visitor’s computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify the visitor’s browser or to store information or settings in the browser. A “web beacon,” also known as an Internet tag, pixel tag, or clear GIF, is used to transmit information about actions of the user opening the page or email containing the beacon back to a web server. Certain features of the Services may use local shared objects (or Flash cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and how you interact with the Services. We may also use third-party analytics tools (such as Google Analytics) that collect information about use of the Services and user traffic. The information we may collect by automated means may include, without limitation:
- Information about the devices you use to access the Services (such as the IP address and the type of the device, operating system, and web browser).
- Dates, times, and duration of use of the Services (including whether you are a repeat or first time visitor).
- Information on actions taken when using the Services (such as page views and website navigation patterns).
This information helps us to improve and personalize our Services, including by enabling us to identify and authenticate users.
2. How We Use the Information We Collect
We may use information we obtain about you to:
- Process orders you place and complete other transactions you have requested using the Services, and provide you with products and services you request.
- Send you information or materials you request.
- Maintain a record of your purchases and other transactions using the Services.
- Respond to your questions and comments and provide customer support.
- Communicate with you about our products, services, offers, and promotions.
- Operate, evaluate, and improve our business and the products and services we offer.
- Analyze and enhance our marketing communications and strategies.
- Analyze trends and statistics regarding use of the Services and transactions conducted using the Services.
- Protect against and prevent fraud, unauthorized transactions, claims, and other liabilities, and manage risk exposure, including by identifying potential hackers and other unauthorized users.
- Comply with applicable legal requirements and industry standards.
We also may use the information we obtain about you in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection.
3. Disclosure of Information
We may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual user, without restriction. We may disclose personal information about you:
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them.
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of NCSL, users of the Services, or others.
- To certain third-party partners whose products or services may be of interest to you, if you have not opted out of these disclosures
- Otherwise with your consent.
4. Data Security
We have implemented measures intended to protect your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration and disclosure. Please note that the electronic transmission of information is not completely secure. We cannot guarantee that the security measures we have in place to safeguard personal information will never be defeated or fail, or that such measures will always be sufficient or effective. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk.
5. Your Choices
We offer you the following choices about the information we collect from you and how we communicate with you:
Most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new cookies, how to be notified when you receive a new cookie, and how to disable existing cookies. You can find out more about this by visiting www.aboutcookies.org. Flash cookies operate differently than browser cookies and cookie management tools available in a web browser may not remove Flash cookies. To learn how you can manage your Flash cookie settings, visit http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html. Please note, however, that without cookies you may not be able to take full advantage of all of the features of the Services.
If you do not want us to use your email address/contact information to promote our products or services, you can opt out at any time by sending us an email stating your request to privacy@NCSL.org. By registering for an event or creating an account, you agree to receive email communications with specific details about any events you are registered for, as well as promotional emails inviting you to future events. If you have received a promotional email from us, you can also opt out of receiving future promotional emails by following the unsubscribe instructions contained in such email. In addition, you may also manage your email preferences at any time by logging in to your account and updating your email communications settings
Disclosure of Personal Information for Third-Party Advertising
If you do not want us to share your personal information with third parties for their own promotional purposes, you can opt out at any time by sending us an email stating your request to privacy@NCSL.org. However, please note the following limitations of such opt-out:
- Your opt-out will not apply to personal information already shared with third parties prior to the date you opt out.
- In order to opt out of Facebook’s use of your personal information, you must opt-out directly through the Facebook app or website by doing the following:
- On the Facebook app, go to Settings & Privacy > Settings > Ads > Ad Preferences > Advertisers and Businesses > Businesses who have uploaded and shared a list with your info. Then, click on a business icon then go to Privacy options and choose Permanent Opt Out.
- On the Facebook website, go to Settings > Ads > Advertisers and Businesses > Who have uploaded and shared a list with your info > View details > Privacy options > Permanent Opt Out
Although we do not control third parties’ collection or use of your information to serve interest-based advertising or other targeted content, a number of these third parties may provide you with ways to choose not to have your information collected or used in this way. You can opt out of receiving targeted advertisements from members of the Network Advertising Initiative by visiting http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices.
6. Accessing and Changing Your Information
You can review and change the personal information associated with your account by logging into your account and visiting your account profile page. You may also send us an email at privacy@NCSL.org to request access to, correct, or delete any personal information that you have provided to us. Where we process your data on the basis that you have consented to such processing, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time by emailing us at privacy@NCSL.org. We may not accommodate a request to change or delete information if we believe the change or deletion would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
7. Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of our Services who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to privacy@NCSL.org or write us at:
7700 East First Place,
Denver, CO 80230
8. Children Under the Age of 13
The Services are not directed to, and NCSL does not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from, children under the age of 13. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under the age of 13, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under the age of 13, please contact us at privacy@NCSL.org.
10. Data Transfers
NCSL is based in the state of Colorado in the United States. If you live outside of the United States, it will be necessary for us to transfer, process, and store such information outside of the country in which you reside, including in the United States. By using the Services, you consent to the transfer to and processing and storage of your information in countries outside of your country of residence, which may have different data protection laws than those in the country where you reside.
11. Additional Information for Individuals in the European Economic Area (EEA)
If you are in the EEA, it is your right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you. You can request a copy of such personal information, and ask us to update, correct or supplement it, by contacting us using the information below. You can also ask us to stop using your personal information, or erase it from our systems. In some circumstances we may not be able to fully comply with your request (if this is the case, we will explain why we can’t), or we may ask you to provide us with additional information, for example, if we need to verify your identity.
12. Contact Us
7700 East First Place,
Denver, CO 80230