NCSL's State Transportation Coordination Database provides information about pending legislation, executive orders and statutes related to the coordination of human service transportation programs from year 2000 to 2012. The database allows users to search by state, year, bill status, topic or keyword.
This database is archived. To view legislation from 2013 legislative sessions on, please visit the NCSL Transportation Access and Mobility Legislation Database.
Human Service Transportation Coordination initiatives support the coordination of agencies and programs that provide special transportation services for people who have challenges accessing transportation options due to income, disability or age. These policies aim to reduce the degree of dispersion that exists among numerous specialized programs across agencies, which can lead to ineffective and inefficient services. Many states have created coordinating councils that include membership from public agencies and other stakeholders as a strategy to address gaps and overlaps in services.
This database also includes legislation related to: funding for human service transportation; regulations and programs which would increase access to transportation for special populations, including fee and fare waivers; and cost-saving and efficiency measures, which include partnerships with nonprofit and private transportation providers, ridesharing, and mobility management, among others.
- Comprehensive Coordination: Wide-ranging statutes that seek to coordinate specialized transportation services across many agencies, organizations, officials and disadvantaged populations.
- Coordination Study: Legislatively mandated studies of human service transportation coordination.
- Establishes Special Transportation Program: Creation of programs to provide direct transportation services or other assistance to a certain population. These programs include expanded transit or paratransit services, ridesharing, accessible vehicles, and fee or fare waivers.
- Issue Specific Coordination: Coordination of transportation programs for a single, distinct disadvantaged population or specific human service need such as medical trips.
- Special Transportation Funding: Allocation or appropriation of funds for special transit; funding for special programs to provide services to a transportation disadvantaged population; or, related to reimbursement for transportation providers.
- Other: All other bills. May include consolidation of services, transportation planning, metrics and performance measures, regulations, oversight or incentives.
For more information, contact Amelia Meyers