Be Prepared: Redistricting Is Around the Corner
It’s almost time to redraw districts—and it’s definitely time to plan for it. When it comes to redistricting, the learning curve is steep. Let us help you and your team prepare for this complex, once-a-decade task at our May 7-10, 2020 seminar in Las Vegas! Register now to reserve your spot.
Starting with the June 20-23 seminar in Rhode Island, NCSL has slated five intensive redistricting seminars—you are encouraged to attend as many as your schedule and budget allow. Constitutionally mandated redistricting is an extraordinarily complex undertaking for legislators, staff and others, so learning the law, process and technology well in advance is vital.
The census data is released early in 2021, and from there it is a mad scramble for most states. The more preparation you do, the easier it will be to get legislative and congressional plans drawn to meet your objectives, withstand challenges and hold up for a decade.
Who Should Attend
If you are a legislator, legislative staffer, a commissioner, commission staffer, an outside advocate or just an interested member of the public, these seminars are for you.
What to Expect
In 2½ days, NCSL will deliver key concepts and practical instruction on redistricting that you can customize for your state and your role in the process. You will learn how to:
- Navigate the legal landscape of redistricting.
- Identify the best technology for your state.
- Determine which data sets are appropriate to your needs.
- Try your hand at making maps and balancing conflicting priorities through redistricting simulations.
- Choose which methodology will meet your expectations for engaging the public.
Plus you will:
- Learn from experienced legislators and legislative staff who have successfully adopted maps in previous cycles.
- Hear from the nation’s experts who have decades of accumulated know-how and experience.
- Go home with a checklist for preparations.
Each seminar will cover some of the same information although the programs will not be identical. Different seminars will go in-depth on different issues and involve different faculty and voices. One thing you are sure to hear is not to underestimate the steep learning curve to understanding the highly complicated task that lies before you.
See the dates below. If you can't wait for these dedicated redistricting seminars, please join us at NCSL's 2019 Legislative Summit, Aug. 5-Aug. 8, in Nashville. Here's the redistricting and elections agenda.
NCSL will hold five seminars in cities across the nation in the two years leading up to the next round of redistricting:
Questions? Call or email Wendy Underhill (303-856-1379) or Christi Zamarripa (303-856-1419)
Interested in sponsoring these meetings (or one specific meeting)? Contact Christi Zamarripa (303-856-1419).