Bitcoin and Ether are examples of digital currencies, or cryptocurrencies, digital assets created by complex computer algorithms. Among other issues raised by this new type of currency, regulators are concerned about “initial coin offerings,” or using cryptocurrencies as capital in start-up formations. Hear an overview of this technology and discuss its enormous potential and challenges.
- Senator Brian J. Feldman (D), Maryland
- Andrew Beal, Ernst & Young, California
- Lucinda Fazio, Washington Department of Financial Institutions
- Michael Pieciak, Department of Financial Regulation, Vermont
- Peter Van Valkenburgh, Coin Center, Washington, D.C.