2010 Spring Forum - Washington, D.C.
School Turnaround Strategies Session - April 8, 2010
NCSL Contacts: Lamar Bailey, Robert Strange, David Shreve
The Administration recently announced its plan for turning around struggling schools. The plan offers four levels of intervention from replacing at least half of a school's staff, to closing and dispersing students to other public schools and charter schools. At this session, a panel will address questions of what works, where school turnarounds have been successful, what alternatives should be considered and what role state legislators can play in this effort.
- Representative Cindy Winckler, Iowa
- Kandace Jones, Office of Elementary and Secondary Education, U.S. Department of Education, Washington, D.C.
- View Kandace Jones's Power Point Presentation
- Gerald Tirozzi, National Association of Secondary School Principals, Virginia
- Representative from the NEA