These audio files are from our series “How to Be an Effective Legislator.” Click on the title to download the file and listen to them in streaming format.
"How to be an Effective Legislator" Audio Series
Mastering the Legislative Process: How to learn the legislative process and more.
Managing the Budget:
- Legislative procedures
- Passing your bill
- Using legislative staff and resources
- Interpersonal skills
How to understand state finances and budgets.
Mastering the Rules:
- Budget analysis and development
- Major expenditure areas
- Revenue forecasts
- Capital budgets
How to learn, and play by the legislative rules.
- The principles behind the rules
- Finding the right staff and colleagues to help you
- Developing scripts to help you make motions
- Knowing which rules to learn first
Working with Staff and Lobbyists: How to deal effectively with staff and lobbyists.
- Hiring and motivating staff
- Learning the ethical boundaries with lobbyists
- Questioning a lobbyist to get the full picture
- Learning who to trust
Serving Your Constituents: How to serve and anticipate constituents' needs.
- Deciding what to pursue yourself and what to refer to others
- Understanding the ethical considerations, and best practices
- Handling constituent calls
Building Consensus: How to resolve conflicts and build consensus in the legislature.
- Building trust
- Working out differences
- Educating the group
- Learning persuasion skills and more
Dealing with the Media: How to work with the media effectively.
- Honing your media message
- Working with editors and writers
- Giving a press conference
- Getting media coverage
- Handling a media crisis
Chairing a Committee: How to excel at chairing a legislative committee.
- Keeping the committee productive
- Planning ahead
- Running an effective meeting
- Speaking for your committee
- Getting the most out of staff and more