40th Year of Teaching, Learning and Networking
DENVER—Best-selling political authors Mark Halperin and John Heilemann, education expert Sir Ken Robinson, philanthropist Cindy McCain, Grammy-winning cellist Yo-Yo Ma and General Wesley Clark (Ret.) will be among the guest speakers during the National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL) 40th annual Legislative Summit Aug. 19-22 in Minneapolis.
The largest gathering of state lawmakers and legislative staff in the country, the Summit brings together legislators, staff and other public policy professionals to learn from experts and each other about solutions to the most pressing issues facing states. More than 100 sessions will be held on topics ranging from criminal justice, education and health care to taxes, technology and transportation. Approximately 5,000 attendees are expected at the meeting, which will be held at the Minneapolis Convention Center.
- The Insiders’ View: Politics Today, featuring Mark Halperin and John Heilemann
- Ending Human Trafficking, featuring Cindy McCain and U.S. Senator Amy Klobuchar
- Arts in Education & Workforce Lunch, featuring Yo-Yo Ma
- Energy and Security in the 21st Century, featuring General Wesley Clark (Ret.)
- A New Education Revolution, featuring Sir Ken Robinson
- Polls, Politics and What Americans Really Think, featuring pollsters Neil Newhouse and Geoffrey Garin
- Bridging the Ideological Divide
- Alternatives for State Health Innovation
- Robocops: From Phones to Drones
- U.S. Economic Outlook
- Big Data: Big Opportunities, Big Risks
- Raising the Bar on Community Corrections
The agenda also includes sessions on the economy, elections, ethics, municipal bankruptcy, pensions, poverty, small business development, U.S. Supreme Court decisions and much more.
Reflective of its national membership, NCSL’s Legislative Summit is held in a different city each year. This year’s Summit is projected to bring approximately $9 million to businesses in Minneapolis, according to the Minneapolis Convention & Visitors Bureau.
All meetings held in conjunction with NCSL’s Legislative Summit are open to the press. Registration is required, but free to credentialed members of the media. Online registration is open through Aug. 15; on-site registration for media is available between 7:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. in Room 201B at the Minneapolis Convention Center. Please review NCSL’s media policy before registering.
NCSL is a bipartisan organization that serves the legislators and staffs of the states, commonwealths and territories. It provides research, technical assistance and opportunities for policymakers to exchange ideas on the most pressing state issues and is an effective and respected advocate for the interests of the states in the American federal system.