The Fiscal Link - August 2013
Your On-Line Connection to the Latest Fiscal Information in the States
NCSL & National Association of Legislative Fiscal Offices (NALFO) Updates
- Register today for the 2013 Fiscal Analysts Seminar! The Seminar will take place in Annapolis, Oct. 7-9. Get more information and register online here. View the online agenda here. ONLY ONE MORE DAY TO RECEIVE EARLY-BIRD REGISTRATION RATES!
- NCSL 2013 Legislative Summit Resources Page. A compilation of presentations, handouts and other resources from Legislative Summit sessions.
- State Budget and Tax Actions: Preliminary Report. Preliminary results from NCSL’s survey of legislative fiscal officers about budget and tax actions taken by legislatures in 2013 sessions, and what to expect in FY 2014.
State News & Reports
- California. The Legislative Analyst’s Office published a report examining sales and use tax revenues in the state, and the relationship to overall economic growth.
- Connecticut. The Connecticut Office of Fiscal Analysis published tables that outline major revenue changes as a result of legislation, both in the near and long-term.
- Maryland. The Department of Legislative Services released their annual report, which summarizes the effect of enacted legislation on the financial condition of the state.
- Michigan. The Senate Fiscal Agency released a brief titled, Does a Lower Unemployment Rate Mean the Economy is Improving?
- Utah. The Office of the Legislative Fiscal Analyst published a report analyzing fiscal notes and budget actions from previous legislative sessions. The report examines implementation, accuracy, and performance.
Federal News & Reports
Other Items of Interest
- The National Association of State Budget Officers (NASBO) released a report on “State Budgeting and Lessons Learned from the Economic Downturn,” which examines budget actions during the recession, and how to improve budgetary preparedness in the future.
- The Center for Retirement Research published a research paper on New Brunswick’s Shared Risk Pension Plan and what lessons the U.S. can draw from this approach.
- The Pew Charitable Trusts published an infographic of Rhode Island’s plan to evaluate tax incentives in the state.
- The Government Finance Officers Association has expanded their Financial Indicators Database to include FY 2011 end financial reports.
If you would like to be added to the distribution list for The Fiscal Link, or know a legislator or legislative staff person who should be added, contact Erica Michel or Todd Haggerty.
View Past Issues of The Fiscal Link
NOTE: Links to external websites and reports are for information purposes only and do not indicate NCSL’s endorsement of the content on those sites.